Crispy Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars

by Shoshana on December 24, 2013 · 11 comments

Post image for Crispy Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars

Since it is cookie season I have been playing around with a bunch of different cookie recipes. These cookies are a bit different than most in that in addition to sweet caramel the layers of these cookies are made up of salty crunchy crackers. Like many people, I love the combination of sweet and salty. A little bit of salt is often exactly what is needed to take a dessert from tasty to sublime. While I love the elegance and complexity of something like salted caramel ice cream sometimes it is fun to enjoy the sweet and salty combo in a less high class, but utterly delicious, form.

I have to say, these cookies have it all. Chocolate, peanut butter and flaky buttery crackers enrobed in a sweet brown sugar caramel, these are cookies people will request again and again. The crackers provide a light crunch that is utterly addictive, reminiscent of a twix bar. I had to share these cookies quickly or we would have eaten the whole batch. These cookies would be a welcome gift or addition to any holiday party. That being said, these no-bake cookies are also perfect for summer when it is too hot to turn on the oven. No matter what time of year you serve these there is sure to be nothing left but crumbs.

Peanut Butter Chocolate Ritz Bars

Prep Time: 5 minutes

Cook Time: 5 minutes

Yield: 36 bars

Ingredients

1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs

1 cup (7.5 oz) white sugar

3/4 cup (6 oz) packed brown sugar

3/4 cup (6 oz) margarine, cubed

1/3 cup (2.7 oz) non-dairy milk of choice

1 box Ritz style buttery crackers (about 80 crackers, I used Paskez Snackers to keep these parve)

1 1/2 cups (9 oz) semi-sweet chocolate chips

1 1/4 cups peanut butter

Preparation

In a large saucepan, combine the cracker crumbs, sugars, margarine, and milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cook and stir continuously for about 5 minutes more.

Grease a 9x13 pan and line with a parchment sleeve. Place a single layer of Ritz crackers along the bottom of the pan. Top with half of the graham cracker crumb mixture. Top with half of the remaining crackers, then the remaining graham cracker crumb mixture. Top with the another layer of crackers.

In a microwave safe bowl, combine the chocolate chips and peanut butter. Microwave on low, stopping to stir occasionally. Do not over cook or the chocolate will burn. Pour over the crackers and refrigerate until firm. Cut into bars and enjoy!

Recipe adapted from Taste of home via Buns in my Oven

Whitney @ Jewhungry December 25, 2013 at 6:59 am

Yes! Chocolate and peanut butter ANYTHING is tops in my book!

Ronnie Fein December 28, 2013 at 5:56 am

Who would have thought that old fashioned Ritz crackers could be part of the sensational sweet-and-salty trend! Great idea.

Jamie Geller December 28, 2013 at 11:46 pm

uhm, shoshana I think this should be illegal!

Shoshana December 29, 2013 at 12:12 pm

I definitely gave them away quickly so we wouldn’t eat them all!

Vicky and Ruth / May I have that recipe? December 29, 2013 at 1:14 pm

Love the combination of sweet and salty, then you add chocolate and peanut butter and they are deliciously dangerous!

stephanie December 30, 2013 at 6:03 pm

yum! salty chocolatey peanut buttery caramel!? there’s nothing missing from this recipe!

Alison@AliBabka December 30, 2013 at 7:36 pm

Never would have thought about using ritz crackers in a dessert, but they are salty, so why not! Awesome idea.

Melissa {lilmisscakes} December 31, 2013 at 3:52 pm

These sound so good, I love sweet and salty. And the fact that this is a no bake recipe is a winner in my book!

Chanie@BusyInBrooklyn January 15, 2014 at 7:06 am

We go through snacker-loving stages in my house, but we never quite make it through the 3-pack boxes. I always have one pack sitting in my pantry for ages. I love what you did with these – definitely going to give this a try.

Teresa February 24, 2014 at 10:23 pm

What brand of chocolate chips did you use that did not have milk solids in them? The Nestle semi sweet chips are not dairy free.

Shoshana February 24, 2014 at 10:35 pm

There are quite a few brands of dairy-free chocolate. One brand of chips that is easily available is the Enjoy Life brand. The trader joes chocolate chips are dairy-free but they are packaged on equipment that packages dairy chips so they are not labeled as dairy free (or parve) but if that is not of concern to you they do not have any dairy ingredients. You can also chop up a bar of dairy free chocolate in place of the chips. For dairy-free chocolate I like scharffen berger or Callbeaut, but the callbeaut is harder to find unless you buy in bulk. Whole Foods brand has a dairy free dark chocolate bar as well. There are other brands as well, but those are my favorite. Hope that helps.