Raspberry Lemonade Marshmallows for a Great Cause

by Shoshana on May 12, 2011 · 27 comments

Post image for Raspberry Lemonade Marshmallows for a Great Cause These marshmallows are like eating a bite of summer. The sweetness of raspberry lemonade captured in a cloud of fluffy marshmallow. Perfect for imagining you are on the back porch sipping a big glass of lemonade and enjoying the summer weather. I make a lot of marshmallows and these are absolutely one of my favorites. Simply put, they make me smile. And that is why I am making them for the San Francisco Food Blogger Bake Sale this weekend. Because everyone should be able to enjoy a bite of summer, with or without a back porch.

For anyone who is interested in going here is the information about the bake sale. It is raising money for a really great cause, which is a great excuse to buy sweets for the greater good.

For those of you who can’t make it to the bake sale you should still try these marshmallows, so I am posting the recipe below.

Raspberry Lemonade Marshmallows

Makes approximately 90 1-inch marshmallows

For Raspberry puree
1 (10 oz) bag frozen no-sugar added raspberries, thawed

For Marshmallows
2/3 cup raspberry puree
3 tablespoons (27 grams) powdered gelatin*
¾ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice, strained
1 cup corn syrup**
pinch of salt
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 tablespoon finely grated fresh lemon zest

1/2 cup cornstarch
1 ½ cup confectioners’ sugar

*It is important to use real gelatin, such as kolatin, in this recipe. Vegetable based gelatins will not work.
** if making these for Passover substitute Marshmallow syrup for the corn syrup and potato starch for the cornstarch

To make the puree:
Puree raspberries in a food processor or blender. Pour the puree into a fine mesh strainer set over a bowl and use a spoon to force the puree through the strainer, leaving the seeds behind. Alternatively, run the raspberries through a food mill to remove the seeds. There may be more puree than is needed for the marshmallows. Store the remainder in the refrigerator. (Lightly sweetened it makes a delicious sauce)

To make the marshmallows:
Lightly spray an 11 x 15 jelly roll pan or 9×13 baking pan with non-stick cooking spray, then rub gently with a paper towel to distribute the spray and leave just the merest sheen of oil on the sheet. Similarly, lightly spray a large offset spatula and set beside the prepared tray.

Combine the raspberry puree and the gelatin in a medium bowl and whisk until well blended and smooth. Set aside. Combine the lemon juice, corn syrup, salt and sugar in a 6-quart saucepan and place over medium heat. When mixture boils, brush down the sides of the pan above the upper surface of the syrup with a clean, moistened pastry brush, or cover the pot with a lid for two minutes to allow the condensation to dissolve any lingering crystals.

Place a candy or instant read thermometer into the syrup and continue to cook, without stirring, until syrup reaches 240F. Do not stir the mixture once you remove the lid. Once it reaches 240F remove the pan from heat and carefully stir in the gelatin mixture.

Pour the mixture into the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Quickly cover bowl with loosely draped plastic wrap or a clean kitchen towel in order to avoid splatters, and gradually increase the mixer speed to “high”. Whip mixture for 12 minutes. Add the lemon zest and whip for an additional 30 seconds.

Scrape mixture into prepared pan and spread out smooth with oiled offset spatula. (A wet spatula or wet hands work well too) Set marshmallow aside, uncovered, at room temperature for at least 4 hours or over night before cutting.

Before cutting the marshmallows, combine the cornstarch and confectioners sugar in a large bowl. Cut marshmallows with a lightly oiled knife or pizza cutter and break into individual pieces. It may be necessary to wash and re-oil the knife if it gets sticky. Alternatively, coat the knife with the cornstarch mixture before cutting and when it starts to get sticky re-coat it. Toss the cut marshmallows with the cornstarch mixture to completely coat. Transfer marshmallows to a fine mesh strainer and shake as much of the excess starch off as possible.

Store marshmallows in an airtight container with the lid slightly ajar for up to two weeks.

Linda @ Lemon Drop May 13, 2011 at 7:51 am

What a gorgeous marshmallow and lovely pic! Great combo of flavors.
would you mind if I shared it on my own blog? http://lemondropsfoodie.blogspot.com/
thx, Linda @ Lemon Drop

Shoshana May 13, 2011 at 3:40 pm

I’m glad you like the marshmallows! You are welcome to post them on your blog as long as you credit them back to me with a link. Enjoy!

Julia May 13, 2011 at 8:38 am

I LOVE homemade marshmallows! What a great flavor!

Medifast Coupons May 13, 2011 at 9:00 am

And they are so pretty in pink!

Oksana Bellas May 13, 2011 at 12:03 pm

I am addicted to marshmallows. Can’t wait to try this recipe even though anything that requires the use of a candy thermometer scares me.
Shabbat Shalom,
Oksana from http://www.ordermatters.com/blog

Shoshana May 23, 2011 at 4:47 pm

Don’t let the candy thermometer deter you, these really aren’t too hard to make. I hope you try them, because if you love marshmallows you are in for a treat with homemade ones.

Sheila Denise May 13, 2011 at 12:35 pm

LOVE these!! What a fabulous flavor combination and definitely for a worthy cause! I know they’ll be flying off the bake sale table. I’m participating in the Atlanta Food Blogger’s Bake Sale tomorrow!! Adding this recipe to my list.

Shoshana May 13, 2011 at 3:41 pm

Thanks! I hope the Atlanta sale is a huge success tomorrow!

Morgan May 13, 2011 at 1:38 pm

Homemade marshmallows are the best! This flavor sounds wonderful. I’ll definitely try this recipe out!

Shoshana May 13, 2011 at 3:42 pm

I hope you do try them. I agree that homemade marshmallows are wonderful fun.

Denae May 13, 2011 at 6:44 pm

I’ve been wanting to try homemade marshmallows for a while. This recipe has finally motivated me to take the plunge. These look delightful!

Shoshana May 14, 2011 at 9:08 pm

I’m glad you decided to take the homemade marshmallow plunge, they are a whole lot of fun!

Elizabeth May 13, 2011 at 7:11 pm

These look fantastic! And what an awesome, refreshing idea for a bake sale! I’ve been looking for new ideas for our upcoming bake sale. If you don’t mind me asking…how much would you price them for?

Shoshana May 14, 2011 at 9:16 pm

I didn’t do the pricing for this bake sale, but the pricing would depend on the number in the bag. I packaged them in bags of 6 and 12 and they were priced at $4 and $8. I wasn’t able to be at the bake sale today and I haven’t yet heard if they sold at that price. Gourmet premium marshmallows that you can buy seem to be around $6/dozen so I imagine people would be willing to pay at least $2-3 for a small bag with 6 or so marshmallows. (especially if it is for a good cause)
I hope your bake sale goes well!

Maya May 13, 2011 at 8:07 pm

Wow these are soooo pretty! <3 I've never had homemade marshmallows before, but I suddenly feel inspired to try!
Lovely job ^_^ Have fun at the bake sale!

Shoshana May 14, 2011 at 9:17 pm

I hope you do try, homemade marshmallows are a lot of fun to make (not to mention delicious)

rebecca May 15, 2011 at 3:46 pm

lovely Marshmellow reminds me of buying some from a tea room in rural Australia recently so good

Andy May 26, 2011 at 12:14 pm

I just made these today and it was a lot of fun! Of course, I haven’t tried to cut them yet……

I’ll be posting them to my website and linking back to you. Thanks for sharing!

Denise June 3, 2011 at 8:50 am

Hi,I am so excited to try your recipe. Can you correct the recipe, though? it doesn’t say when to add the raspberry gelatin mix to the syrup mix. I assume you combine before placing on the heat. The recipe says to set the raspberry on the side then only talks about the corn syrup mixture. Do you have a recipe for plain / vanilla marshmallows? Thanks.

Shoshana June 3, 2011 at 11:36 am

I’m sorry if the recipe is confusing. You set the raspberry gelatin mix aside until the syrup is done cooking and then stir it in once the syrup is removed from the heat.
Here is the recipe for the vanilla marshmallows http://www.couldntbeparve.com/2009/04/passover-just-got-little-bit-sweeter/

If you are not making them for passover you can just use corn syrup instead of the marshmallow syrup if you want.

I hope you enjoy them!

Michelle September 24, 2011 at 10:34 pm

Thank you for such an awesome recipe and sharing all your sucessful recipes! Today was my first time on your blog (I got here via another blog that had a dairy-free mac-n-cheese recipe. They mentioned your page and wa-la) and I have already made 2 things! These marshmallows (which are delicious – at least the dallops i keep eating) and the Quick Peanut Butter Ice-Cream (which my husband is eating right now).

I am excited to have found your blog and try more of your recipes which are “husband” friendly!

Thank you again for sharing! Michelle

Shoshana September 24, 2011 at 10:45 pm

I’m so glad you found my blog, I hope you continue to enjoy all the dairy-free recipes!

Ellen March 27, 2014 at 6:17 am

Do these ship well in care packages for college students?

Ivy December 16, 2014 at 10:08 am

I made this yesterday morning but I am not sure why my marshmallow became watery the next day. Any tips?

Shoshana December 16, 2014 at 11:26 am

I’m not sure exactly what you mean by watery. Were they too soft? Too sticky? If you tell me more about what happened I can help troubleshoot.