Cinnamon Ice Cream, Perfect for Any Season

by Shoshana on October 15, 2009 · 13 comments

For my birthday a few weeks ago my wonderful husband got me a new ice cream maker. And not just any ice cream maker. This one has a built in compressor so I can turn it and make ice cream any time I want without having to have freezer space for the canister at all times, an important feature if you have ever seen my freezer. Even better, now I can make more than one flavor of ice cream in the same evening which opens up endless serving possibilities. I am very excited about my new toy and have been making quite a bit of ice cream lately.

Now I recognize that ice cream isn’t the first thing pops to mind when thinking about fall desserts, but I think that this cinnamon ice cream is a wonderful flavor for fall. The spicy cinnamon pairs perfectly with many fall desserts. Apple tarts, pumpkin pie, or a warm fruit crisp all go well with this ice cream. But it is awesome with brownies too. I know I will be making this ice cream often this fall. It may seem strange to add vegetable oil to ice cream, but trust it. The oil is what gives the ice cream the richness that is so often missing in ice cream recipes that do not have heavy cream.

Cinnamon Ice Cream

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Cook Time: 10 minutes

20 minutes

Yield: approximately one quart

Ingredients

3 cups almond milk (I used Almond Breeze unsweetened original)

1 cup soy milk powder

1/2 cup vegetable oil

3/4 cup sugar

pinch of salt

10 3-inch cinnamon sticks, broken up

6 large egg yolks

Preparation

In a medium saucepan whisk together 2 cups of almond milk, soy milk powder, oil, sugar and salt. Add the cinnamon and heat the mixture until warm. Remove the saucepan from the heat, cover it, and let it steep for 1 hour.

Reheat the mixture until warm and whisk it to recombine the oil that will have floated to the top. Strain out the cinnamon by pouring the mixture through a fine mesh strainer into a medium bowl. Return the mixture to the pan and place the egg yolks in the bowl, whisking to combine. Place the remaining cup of almond milk in another medium bowl and set the strainer on top.

Slowly stream the warm mixture into the egg yolks while whisking constantly. Scrape the warmed yolk mixture back into the pan and cook over medium heat stirring constantly with a heatproof spatula. Make sure to scrape the bottom of the pan with the spatula while stirring. Cook until the mixture thickens and coats the back of the spatula. Pour the custard through the strainer into the remaining almond milk. Place the bowl over an ice bath and stir until cool.

Chill the mixture thoroughly in the refrigerator and then freeze in a ice cream maker according to the manufacturers instructions.

Note: The ice cream will get harder as it sits in the freezer so it has been in the freezer a while let it sit out for 10-15 minutes to soften it before serving in order to get the best texture.

Rebecca October 15, 2009 at 4:07 pm

I love, love, love cinnamon ice cream. It is so awesome. I will try yours because it looks delicious.

vincent October 17, 2009 at 6:59 pm

Hello,

We bumped into your blog and we really liked it – great recipes YUM YUM.
We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

enjoy your recipes.

and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on "Add your site"

Best regards,

Vincent
petitchef.com

Lisa October 19, 2009 at 5:04 am

I was wondering if you could elaborate on how you decide which parve base to use for your various ice cream recipes. I first heard about MimicCream from this website. Once I was able to obtain it, I pretty much wrote off any other bases, as I find it so superior to soymilk, almond milk, and the chemical-laden parve whip products. Because of that, I was surprised to see a recipe here using almond milk, when it seems to me that the MimicCreme products a superior result. Just curious.

Shoshana October 20, 2009 at 3:15 am

Hi Lisa,
I love using MimicCreme for any ice cream that has a strong other flavor (chocolate, coffee, peanut butter etc) and it does give you the best texture without a lot of other ingredients. However, I find that for more subtle flavors (like vanilla) the "nuttiness" of the mimiccreme comes through a bit and is noticeable in the aftertaste. I find that the almond milk has a much more neutral flavor. I have been playing around a bunch trying to perfect vanilla ice cream and decided to infuse the cinnamon into a similar ice cream base.

Now that you ask, I wonder how I would like the cinnamon in a mimiccreme base. I am going to try it this week and will get back to you. Do you have a favorite mimicreme ice cream flavor that you make?

Louise December 20, 2009 at 3:36 am

I would love to know where to buy mimicreme and soy milk powder. Do you buy it online? Or your kosher market? Or a healthfood store? thanks, Louise

Louise December 20, 2009 at 3:54 am

One more question about the mimicreme – do you like it better than soy milk and, if so, why?

What do you use to make a parve frosting like a buttercream?

thanks, Louise

Shoshana December 20, 2009 at 5:24 am

Hi Louise,
Which milk substitute I like best depends on how I am using it. I always have soy milk, almond milk and mimiccreme in my pantry because I use all of them frequently. I prefer mimiccreme to soy milk for things where creaminess makes a big difference, like ice cream. However, the nutty flavor of the mimiccreme is noticeable in a subtle flavor like vanilla, so I mainly use it when the flavor is strong (like chocolate) or already nutty (like in my Amaretto pastry cream http://tinyurl.com/y89kdwv ).

For baking I generally use soy milk because it is the most similar to milk in terms of fat/protein etc. I use almond milk for custards and ice cream with more subtle flavors, because I find it less noticeable than either the soy milk or the mimiccreme.

For buttercream frostings I use a combination of margarine and tofutti cream cheese. I haven't perfected the vanilla yet (I am getting close) but am quite happy with both my cream cheese and chocolate buttercreams. You can find the recipes by clicking on the frosting label.

I hope this helps, I am always happy to answer any questions so let me know if there is anything else I can help with.
Shoshana

nicki November 17, 2011 at 4:07 am

Hi Shoshana,

Can you please tell me what brand of ice cream maker you have, the built in compressor sounds wonderful? Thanks Nicki

Shoshana November 17, 2011 at 11:22 am

I have the lello pro gelato maker, but I know that the cuisinart one is really good too.

esther November 18, 2014 at 4:57 am

Is there anything I could use instead of soy? Thanks.

Shoshana November 19, 2014 at 1:59 pm

If you don’t want to use soy I would recommend using the recipe for Not So Plain Vanilla ice cream which uses cashew milk instead. Instead of using the vanilla bean use the cinnamon sticks called for in this recipe, and steep them in the cashew milk. Hope that helps.