Not So Plain Vanilla Ice Cream

by Shoshana on February 5, 2014 · 16 comments

Post image for Not So Plain Vanilla Ice Cream

I have never understood the use of the term “plain vanilla” to describe something boring. I happen to love vanilla and nothing comes close to the fragrance of a fresh vanilla bean. That being said, there are not so many “plain vanilla” recipes on this blog. That is because vanilla is one of the most difficult flavors to successfully highlight in a parve dessert. Most great vanilla flavored desserts are chock full of dairy, because the neutral flavor of the dairy allows the vanilla flavor to shine. The trick with parve baking and cooking is that none of the great non-dairy substitutes available are as neutral in flavor as dairy milk and cream. While the subtle (or not so subtle) flavors of the base milk can add a depth of flavor to a finished dessert (like the way the coconut subtly complements the pears in this tart or the almond makes this rice pudding taste like horchata), they make it somewhat difficult to make the vanilla the star of the show. When I was a kid I frequently ordered French Vanilla ice cream because I loved the eggy richness of the vanilla studded ice cream custard, so I knew my challenge would be to find a way to make that vanilla-y goodness a non-dairy reality.

My standard ice cream base that I use for many different flavored ice creams is close to neutral, but not quite enough that I have been satisfied with it when I tried to make plain vanilla ice cream. As a result I tend to serve ice cream flavors like cinnamon or caramel instead of vanilla as a side to a slice of pie or a scoop of bread pudding. But there are times when nothing but vanilla will do so I have been tinkering on and off throughout the years trying to come up with a parve vanilla ice cream recipe that truly tastes the way vanilla ice cream should taste. I finally think I have gotten it. The answer, it turns out, is cashew milk and a whole lot of vanilla. It has a much more subtle flavor than almond milk or soy milk and a nice creaminess that works wonderfully in ice cream. Add a high quality vanilla bean to the custard and you have vanilla ice cream worth savoring.

Not So Plain Vanilla Ice Cream

1/4 cup (2 oz) neutral tasting oil

1 (6 inch) vanilla bean

pinch of salt

6 egg yolks

1 teaspoon (5 g) vanilla extract

Preparation

Set a large bowl aside with a fine mesh strainer on top of it. Place the egg yolks and the salt in another large bowl and whisk to combine. Set aside.

In a medium saucepan combine the cashew milk, sugar and oil. Scrape the seeds of the vanilla bean into the saucepan, then add the bean. Heat the mixture until very warm.

Slowly stream the warm mixture into the egg yolks while whisking constantly. Scrape the warmed yolk mixture back into the pan and cook over medium heat stirring constantly with a heatproof spatula. Make sure to scrape the bottom of the pan with the spatula while stirring. Cook until the mixture thickens and coats the back of the spatula. (Or reaches 160 F) Pour the custard through the strainer into the prepared bowl. Place the bowl over an ice bath and stir until cool.

Chill the mixture thoroughly in the refrigerator and then freeze in a ice cream maker according to the manufacturers instructions.

Note: The ice cream will get harder as it sits in the freezer so it has been in the freezer a while let it sit out for 10-15 minutes to soften it before serving in order to get the best texture.

Alessandra (DinnerinVenice) February 5, 2014 at 1:00 pm

This sounds so lovely! I am not a fan of the store bought parve vanilla ice creams. We must try this one ASAP!

D @ The Kosher Cave Girl February 5, 2014 at 1:40 pm

Oh yum! Since I don’t eat dairy, I love using cashew milk! I’ll add coconut oil too! Can’t wait to try this recipe!

Shoshana February 5, 2014 at 1:46 pm

I actually used refined coconut oil for the oil. I am going to try making a maple version that is paleo, I’ll let you know how it turns out.

Vicky and Ruth / May I have that recipe? February 6, 2014 at 6:32 pm

I love cashew milk, I am sure it works great in this recipe. I love the ice cream picture, I am going to pin it!

Shoshana February 7, 2014 at 3:22 pm

Glad you liked the picture, thanks for the pin!

Hindy February 7, 2014 at 6:01 am

I’ve never used cashew milk! Where do you find it? This looks great!

Shoshana February 7, 2014 at 3:22 pm

I got it a whole foods in the boxed non-dairy milk section.

Tamar Genger February 9, 2014 at 9:11 am

Everyone recommends cashews as the best heavy cream sub so it makes sense. But I have yet to try it. Sounds delish. And anything with some whole vanilla bean mixed in is a treat.

Ronnie Fein February 10, 2014 at 6:45 am

Fabulous. I’ve made vanilla ice cream with coconut milk and almond milk, but not cashew milk. Have to try that. I agree, vanilla is anything BUT boring. There’s a purity, fragrance and flavor that can’t be surpassed. It helps to use actual vanilla pod, as you do, rather than even the best extract.

Chanie@BusyInBrooklyn February 10, 2014 at 7:20 am

WOW, I can see that vanilla bean speckled throughout – and LOVE that you used cashew milk, so interesting!

Laura February 13, 2014 at 1:42 pm

What a great idea to use cashew milk. This looks fantastic.

Melissa {lilmisscakes} February 16, 2014 at 8:03 am

congrats on figuring this out! sounds so yummy, sometimes nothing but vanilla will do!

Sarah Klinkowitz February 25, 2014 at 11:04 am

I don’t find genuine vanilla plain at all. I agree with Melissa – sometimes nothing satisfies like vanilla. Beautiful shot of the ice cream!

Vivian November 30, 2014 at 6:45 pm

Hello Shoshana,
The recipe really sounds delicious, but we don’t have industrialized cashew milk, it’s ok if it’s homemade and if yes do you think I should do it more dense or not so much?
The egg yolks should be whisked until pale or just combined?, I’am afraid of the acentuated egg yolk after taste.
thanks,
Vivian

Shoshana December 3, 2014 at 10:50 am

Homemade cashew milk should work fine. For this recipe you will want it to be slightly thick, but not as thick as cream. To my taste the ice cream is not eggy tasting, and all the egg yolks are what gives it a nice creamy texture. You only need to whisk them until combined.