Ever since I made s’mores with a blow torch in my kitchen I have been trying to figure out how to capture the sweet, oozy, deliciousness of a s’more in a cookie form. The challenge is that I serve most of my desserts on shabbat, which means that the s’more qualities need to come through even when the cookie is cool, not just right out of the oven. I tried making graham cracker flavored cookies with marshmallows mixed in. I tried chocolate cookies with pieces of graham cracker and marshmallow. I tried pressing a marshmallow into the top of an almost cooked cookie. While all of these versions were certainly edible, the marshmallow flavor did not come through in the way I wanted, and they were lacking in gooeyness.
This week, I think I have my solution. These s’more bars were just what I was looking for. In retrospect I should have realized that marshmallow cream which is gooey at room temperature would be a better way to go since I wanted gooeyness in a cookie that was going to be served at room temperature. Layers of graham cracker flavored cookie sandwich a filling of chocolate and marshmallow cream and the whole thing is baked until golden and delicious. I didn’t have the 8 inch square pan called for in the recipe, so I used a 9 inch pan instead. That meant there wasn’t quite enough cookie dough to make a complete layer on the top, so I ended up with a swirl pattern.
It allowed some of the marshmallow cream to brown, which added the toasted flavor of s’mores to the bars. As a true lover of marshmallows I think the bars could have used just a bit more marshmallow, but other people thought they were good just the way they were.
S’More Cookie Bars
(adapted from Baking Bites)
- 1/2 cup margarine, room temperature
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/3 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup graham cracker crumbs*
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 large handfuls chocolate chips (enough to make a scant layer over the cookie dough)
- 1 1/2 cups marshmallow creme/fluff (not melted marshmallows)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease an 8-inch square baking pan.
- In a large bowl, cream together margarine and sugar until light. Beat in egg and vanilla.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour, graham cracker crumbs, baking powder and salt. Add to margarine mixture and mix at a low speed until combined.
- Divide dough in half and press half of dough into an even layer on the bottom of the prepared pan.
- Sprinkle chocolate chips over dough.
- Spread chocolate with marshmallow creme or fluff.
- Place remaining dough in a single layer on top of the fluff (most easily achieved by flattening the dough into small shingles and laying them together).
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until lightly browned.
- Cool completely before cutting into bars