Gingerbread Caramel Corn

by Shoshana on December 19, 2013 · 15 comments

Post image for Gingerbread Caramel Corn

As I have said many times before I absolutely adore the foods and flavors of the Christmas season. I would never let a small thing, like the fact that we don’t celebrate Christmas, keep me from filing my kitchen with all kinds of holiday treats and goodies. I turn my kitchen into a cookie and candy factory ostensibly for the purpose of making christmas and chanukkah presents, but if I am being perfectly honest I really do it so I have an excuse to make (and taste) some of my favorite treats. One of my favorite holiday flavors is gingerbread. While I do love a good spicy gingerbread cookie, it is also fun to take the flavors of gingerbread and turn them into something unexpected and delicious (like these marshmallows). This gingerbread caramel corn is the perfect thing to snack on throughout the holiday season. It is sweet, spicy and utterly addictive. Not to mention how amazing the house smells while it is baking. It will be hard not to make this again and again.

Besides being delicious, this gingerbread popcorn can also be very useful. When I am sending homemade candy and baked goods I like to fill the shipping box with popcorn (not the styrofoam packing kind, the edible kind) and then nestle the other goodies in with the popcorn. The popcorn protects the other things, is completely Eco friendly, and is delicious to boot! (In order to keep the popcorn clean and still edible when it arrives I use glad press n seal to completely line the inside of the box before filling it). I have used regular caramel corn in the past but this gingerbread version will take the holiday theme of the packages to the next level.

Gingerbread Caramel Corn

Prep Time: 5 minutes

Cook Time: 1 hour, 10 minutes

1 hour

Yield: 3-1/2 quarts.

Gingerbread Caramel Corn

16 cups popped popcorn (4 oz unpopped kernels)

1 cup +2 tablespoons (9 oz) brown sugar

¾ cup (6 oz) salted margarine

6 tablespoons (4.5 oz) corn syrup

6 tablespoons (4.5 oz) molasses

1 tablespoon ground ginger

1 teaspoon cinnamon

pinch cloves

1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg

1/4 teaspoon salt

¾ teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Place the popcorn in a very large oiled bowl. (If you don't have a large enough bowl a stock pot works too). Set aside.

Oil the sides of a small heavy saucepan; add the brown sugar, margarine, corn syrup, molasses, spices and salt. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Boil without stirring for 5 minutes.

Remove from the heat and stir in the baking soda (mixture will foam). Stir in the vanilla. Quickly pour the syrup over the popcorn and mix well.

Transfer the popcorn to two greased or parchment lined baking pans. Bake at 250° for 1 hour, stirring every 10 minutes. Remove from pans and cool completely. Store in an airtight container.

Recipe adapted from Taste of Home

Ronnie Fein December 19, 2013 at 6:46 am

I agree completely. I LOVE “Christmas” flavors and just finished photo-ing my fruitcake for a post for next week. Doesn’t mean I celebrate Christmas, but I sure can enjoy the gingerbread, cookies and all the other goodies! And caramel corn is one of my faves.

Shoshana December 19, 2013 at 11:06 am

I love fruitcake! I look forward to seeing your version.

D @ The Kosher Cave Girl December 19, 2013 at 9:12 am

I can’t get enough of gingerbread and peppermint. Don’t get me wrong– Chanukah “flavors” (oil is totally a flavor, right?) are great and all — who doesn’t love latkes and sufganiyot, but I wish I could build a little gingerbread shul now and then around this time of year. This recipe looks great!

Shoshana December 24, 2013 at 5:18 pm

I love the idea of making a gingerbread shul, how clever! I make gingerbread sukkot but those are long gone by now.

Alison@AliBabka December 22, 2013 at 11:08 am

I love gingerbread and combing it with popcorn is so much fun! I want to eat this whole bowl!

Jessica December 22, 2013 at 12:31 pm

umm yum! love winter time just because of all the gingerbread cookies and
spices and coffees. this popcorn looks amazing and I might have to make it next week…

Jamie Geller December 22, 2013 at 10:22 pm

What a great packing idea! I make popcorn with parm and olive oil – my kids would be stunned to know we can also make sweet popcorn – thanks for the inspiration.

Laura December 23, 2013 at 5:45 am

What a great idea. I also love seeing all the gingerbread, eggnog and peppermint flavored recipes this time of year. I bet this would be great with white chocolate drizzled on top (although, if you use real white chocolate, it wouldn’t be pareve anymore).

Shoshana December 24, 2013 at 5:19 pm

I love the white chocolate idea, I am going to have to make it that way next time.

This American Bite December 23, 2013 at 1:19 pm

I love this idea. I love playing with pop corn recipes too.

stephanie December 23, 2013 at 6:26 pm

the one time i tried to make caramel popcorn, all of the popcorn wilted under the hot caramel! i’ll have to try again…

Chanie@BusyInBrooklyn December 23, 2013 at 9:44 pm

I love anything gingerbread and this is just calling my name!

Whitney @ Jewhungry December 25, 2013 at 7:01 am

I totally feel ya on the smells and tastes of Christmas season. I mean, what’s not to like?

Melissa {lilmisscakes} December 30, 2013 at 6:37 am

This recipe sounds amazing, I wouldnt mind getting a package of edible popcorn, thats such a fun and smart idea!

Sandra Mort October 28, 2015 at 5:00 pm

*grin* I once told a Catholic man that I know that it’s unfair that so many peppermint desserts are only available around Christmas. He said that it’s proof that Jesus loves me. Hmmmm. I thought about that for a bit and then decided that it was the most compelling argument that I’d heard yet.