Mocha Ice Cream

by Shoshana on July 17, 2013 · 15 comments

Post image for Mocha Ice Cream

Since July is National Ice Cream month I thought it was high time I post an ice cream recipe. I happen to love ice cream, and never really need an excuse to make it, but an entire month dedicated to ice cream is absolutely not something I want to miss! While I love a cold refreshing sorbet in the heat of summer, nothing beats the cold creaminess of ice cream in my book. I have to admit I have pretty high standards when it comes to parve ice cream. It has to be rich and creamy and not icy or thin tasting, as well as being free of unpronounceable chemicals. Over the years I have made a lot of delicious parve ice creams, but I have to say this mocha ice cream is one of the best I have made. The cold creamy coffee flavor, enhanced by just enough chocolate, is the perfect after dinner indulgence. Pile it high in a sugar cone or serve it in dainty scoops in an espresso cup, no matter how you serve it, this ice cream is sure to be a crowd pleaser.

If you want to make this ice cream but don’t have an ice cream maker follow the instructions in this post for making ice cream without an ice cream maker.

Mocha Ice Cream

3 tablespoons good quality instant coffee

1 1/4 cups sugar

pinch of salt

6 egg yolks

3 oz chocolate, melted and cooled

Preparation

In a medium saucepan whisk together 2 cups of almond milk, soy milk powder, oil, sugar and salt. Place the egg yolks in the bowl and whisking to combine. Whisk in the instant coffee and the cocoa powder. Set the bowl next to the stove. Place the remaining cup of almond milk in another medium bowl and set the strainer on top. Set aside. Heat the almond milk mixture until warm.

Slowly stream the warm mixture into the egg yolks while whisking constantly. Scrape the warmed yolk mixture back into the pan and cook over medium heat stirring constantly with a heatproof spatula. Make sure to scrape the bottom of the pan with the spatula while stirring. Cook until the mixture thickens and coats the back of the spatula. Pour the custard through the strainer into the remaining almond milk. Stir in the melted chocolate. Place the bowl over an ice bath and stir until cool.

Chill the mixture thoroughly in the refrigerator and then freeze in a ice cream maker according to the manufacturers instructions.

Note: The ice cream will get harder as it sits in the freezer so it has been in the freezer a while let it sit out for 5-10 minutes to soften it before serving in order to get the best texture.

Miriam @ OvertimeCook July 17, 2013 at 10:04 pm

I love ice cream, and I completely feel that the parve options available are very lacking in every sense. Love your version!

Btw- I have been wanting to play around with soy powder – where do you find it kosher??

Shoshana July 17, 2013 at 10:09 pm

I use the Better than Milk brand which is available at stores like Whole Foods, or you can order it on Amazon. It is the secret ingredient (that I learned from Levana Kirschenbaum) that makes the ice cream so creamy. It is also a great ingredient to have on hand for other parve recipes, like making parve sweetened condensed milk or evaporated milk. Did you have any specific recipes in mind that you wanted to use it for? I am always curious about what other creative people come up with.

Ronnie Fein July 18, 2013 at 6:38 am

I don’t make ice cream often and mostly dairy. I’m wondering why the soy powder gives it a creamy finish. I sometimes find soy flavor overwhelming — would the ice cream be okay using less?

Shoshana July 18, 2013 at 7:37 am

It’s actually the combination of soy powder and oil that makes it so creamy. (It increases the protein and fat content of the almond milk to better mimic whole milk and cream) I’ve done a lot is experimentation and this is the ratio I like best. I agree with you about soy flavor often being overwhelming. I actually rarely use soy milk for anything except occasional baking where the flavor isn’t noticeable. That being said I find that the soy powder, when mixed with almond milk, is much more neutral tasting than regular soy milk. I still tend to make ice cream with stronger flavors (like mocha) since that completely covers any flavor from the soy powder. That being said, if you decide to experiment using less soy powder please let me know how it goes!

Melissa {lilmisscakes} July 18, 2013 at 7:04 pm

I didn’t even know soy powder existed! I am also against those pareve chemical ice creams, I can’t wait to try your secret weapon!

Alison@AliBabka July 19, 2013 at 6:10 am

Look amazing and love the recipe! Very creative use of soy powder.

Laura July 19, 2013 at 7:40 am

This looks amazing (all your ice cream recipes do). I’m wondering though about substitutions for the soy powder. Have you ever experimented with tofu?

Shoshana July 19, 2013 at 9:46 am

I’ve never experimented with tofu for ice cream, although I have used it for mousse in the past. There are other ways to make creamy parve ice cream, but I would use another recipe altogether rather than trying to adapt this one. In the past I have used miniccream and other (homemade) nut creams successfully in ice cream. Coconut milk also gives it a nice creamy texture if you don’t mind a subtly coconut flavor. If you want some specific recipes for ice creams made without soy powder let me know and I’ll send you some.

Chanie@BusyInBrooklyn July 19, 2013 at 2:14 pm

I’ve just started experimenting with homemade ice cream. Thanks for this delicious recipe!

Sina July 20, 2013 at 10:50 pm

I don’t like the parve ice creams, except for a few coconut ones. This seems like a great recipe!

Sarah Klinkowitz July 21, 2013 at 8:13 am

I love mocha ANYTHING! This looks amazing!

Tamar Genger July 22, 2013 at 7:33 am

Interesting way to make parve ice cream, I have always used coconut milk, but I actually bought some soy powder and can’t remember why so I might try this.

stephanie July 22, 2013 at 4:43 pm

i have never worked with soy powder before! or tried to make pareve ice cream. this looks awesome! and i love the cup and saucer!

jessica // the kosher foodies July 22, 2013 at 7:20 pm

that ice cream looks so creamy! i will have to try using soy protein and making pareve ice cream one day!

Shoshana July 22, 2013 at 8:27 pm

I hope you do try it! I just want to clarify that it is not soy protein powder that I use, it is soy milk powder. They are quite different and I am pretty sure that ice cream made with soy protein powder would taste pretty chalky and not great.