Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich Cookies

by Shoshana on January 27, 2011 · 11 comments

Post image for Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich Cookies

Few flavor combinations are as classically comforting as peanut butter and jelly. There is something about a peanut butter and jelly sandwich that is nourishing and delicious at the same time. These cookies take that classic lunchbox standby and turn it into the perfect afternoon/late night snack to serve with a nice glass of milk. They are quick and easy to make and are sure to bring a smile to the face of any peanut butter loving kid or adult.

I made these cookies using a quick five ingredient peanut butter cookie, but any peanut butter cookie recipe would work. For this recipe it is very important not to overcook the cookies so check on them a bit before they are done. The peanut flavor of the cookies is not super intense so the peanut flavor of the cookies is enhanced by adding a bit more peanut butter in between the cookies.

Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich Cookies

Makes approximately 13 cookies

1 cup peanut butter, plus additional for making the sandwiches
1 cup brown sugar (a combination of white and brown works well too)
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla

Filling
peanut butter
strawberry or raspberry jam

Preheat the oven to 350. Line two large cookie sheets with parchment paper. Combine all of the cookie ingredients in a large bowl and stir well. Scoop out teaspoon sized balls of cookie dough and space them two inches apart on the cookie sheets. Using a fork dipped in sugar gently press the cookies down. Rotate the fork and press again to make the classic peanut butter cookie pattern. The dough is quite sticky so it is important to keep re-sugaring the fork to keep it from sticking. Bake the cookies for 10-12 minutes, or until lightly set and browning around the edges. The tops should still be light.

Remove pans from the oven and let cool for a couple of minutes. Transfer cookies to a cooling rack and let cool completely.

Turn half of the cookies over and spread the bottoms with a thin layer of peanut butter. Top with a teaspoon of jam and spread almost to the edges of the cookie. Top with remaining cookies.

Note: These cookies can be made Kosher for Passover by substituting almond buter for the peanut butter in the recipe.

Jeanine January 27, 2011 at 7:50 am

Oh boy, those cookies look GOOD! I know my kids (and I) would love them. Maybe I’ll have to surprise them with some fresh cookies today. :)

Shoshana January 30, 2011 at 11:13 pm

I hope you did have a chance to make them. There is nothing better than the surprise of freshly baked cookies!

Laura January 29, 2011 at 6:47 pm

These look great. I am especially impressed with the idea of spreading peanut butter along with the jelly to intensify the flavor. Very smart idea.

Shoshana January 30, 2011 at 11:14 pm

Thanks Laura. I love anything peanut butter so I couldn’t help making the peanut butter the primary flavor.

Laura January 31, 2011 at 11:23 pm

Shoshana, I’m sorry, but I had to give you the Stylish Blogger award on my blog because your blog is so, well, stylish (and sophisticated and delicious). You don’t have to participate (or you can participate as much or little as you like–you just had a baby for heaven’s sake!), but I wanted to give you a shout out because I love your site.

Shoshana February 6, 2011 at 1:02 am

Thank you so much Laura, I am honored! I will try to get the post up in some semblance of a timely manner but it may take a little while. Thanks again!

kitchenetta February 2, 2011 at 4:51 pm

I am intrigued with this recipe and will definitely try it. No flour in the cookie?

Shoshana February 6, 2011 at 1:03 am

It is based on the classic 4 ingredient peanut butter cookie which doesn’t need flour. There are all kinds of variations on it, but this is the one I like best. It works great for Passover using almond butter as well!

kitchenetta February 8, 2011 at 12:57 pm

thanks for the clarification. Almond butter it will be! :)

Tricia February 21, 2011 at 7:40 am

I am going to make these for Shabbos Desert… Love that they’re parve!!!