Flourless Almond Thumbprint Cookies

by Shoshana on March 31, 2009 · 10 comments

Almond butter was my new favorite discovery last Passover. Spread on matzah with a sprinkle of cinnamon and a drizzle of honey it was a breakfast/snack truly worth savoring. This year I decided to take the almond butter to the next level with these almond thumbprint cookies. These cookies are absolutely wonderful. Not only are the delicious, but they contain only four ingredients that are simply stirred together in a bowl. It is always a struggle to bake on Passover because many of us do not have the same equipment (like a kitchen aid) that we depend on year round, so it is always nice to find recipes that only require a bowl and a spoon. Quick and easy, these are sure to be a crowd pleaser.

I made two different versions of these cookies, one with a jam filling and one with chocolate non-pareils in the middle. There was a split among my tasters as to which was better so I am planning on making some of each for the seders. The jam filled ones are reminicent in flavor of linzer cookies. The crunchy chocolate of the non-pareils provides a nice contrast to the soft cookie. Plain chocolate circles or even squares of chocolate taste good too, but aren’t quite as aesthetically pleasing.
Flourless almond thumbprint cookies (adapted from Cookie Madness)
Yield: 15-18 cookies
1 cup almond butter
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt (if using salted almond butter omit the salt)
Chocolate non-pareils and/or jam for filling
Combine all the ingredients in a bowl. Roll the dough into tablespoon sized balls and place on a parchment lined cookie sheet.
Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes.
If making the chocolate version: As soon as the cookies come out of the oven press a non-pareil into the middle of each cookie and let the cookies cool completely. The chocolate will set up after several hours, but to hurry the process you can refrigerate for a few minutes once the cookie part is cool.
If making the jam version: As soon as the cookies come out of the oven make an indentation in the middle of the cookie with your thumb or the back of a spoon. Once the cookies have cooled fill with jam.

Robin Guzik March 22, 2010 at 8:50 pm

Hi Shoshana,
I tried these cookies tonight, and they were as easy as you said, and were delicious. Ben has already eaten 2 of them, so I made a second batch! They looked just like your picture! Thanks for the great recipe! Robin

Sarah March 25, 2010 at 10:29 pm

Hi Shoshana,

Rebecca sent me to your site when I asked for ideas…I just finished the test round of these and they are awesome!! The brownies are still baking…I think this pesah is going to be the best ever!

Shoshana March 25, 2010 at 10:53 pm

@Sarah, I’m glad you like them, have a wonderful pesach.

cassidy March 6, 2012 at 4:30 pm

What a great find! I used to make a cookie that was based on PB, but now that my daughter is allergic I no longer make them. These are a very tasty alternative and very easy to make!

Shoshana March 6, 2012 at 10:58 pm

I’m so glad you are able to make them again!

Marsha April 4, 2012 at 10:41 am

I am wondering why they spread so much into a flat cookie

Shoshana April 5, 2012 at 12:57 am

I don’t know why yours spread into a flat cookies. I have made them many times, both with store bought and homemade almond butter and have never had that problem. In fact, I just made a batch tonight. Did you use the full amount of sugar and a large egg? In a recipe with so few ingredients that can make a big difference. Other than that I am not sure what the problem might be. I’m sorry they didn’t work for you.

Miri April 5, 2012 at 10:33 am

These look great. I am going to make them and also the chocolate hazelnut cookies. Since im making the choc cookies, i thought id do the jam version of these. What kind of jam works best? I feel like it needs to be a thicker one so its not runny. What do you use? thanks!

Shoshana April 5, 2012 at 11:07 am

Any kind of preserve should work. Since the jam is added after they are cooked the runny-ness is less of a problem than for a filling that is cooked like hamentashen. I like the 778 fruit preserves for pesach because there are chunks of whole fruit, but pretty much anything should work. Raspberry and cherry go particularly well with the almond.

Donna April 18, 2014 at 7:49 am

I added 1cup cake meal to them more body, I just made mt 2nd batch,thanks!